New attractions, nighttime fireworks shows, decorations, and more await guests during the resort’s 18-month 50th anniversary event.
‘The World’s Most Magical Celebration’ is set to kick off this Friday, October 1, 2021, exactly 50 years after the official grand opening of the Walt Disney World Resort.
The entire resort will feature new EARidescent decor, including Cinderella Castle at the center of everything. But there will also be some new attractions, dining, and more surprises to discover.
Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
October 1st marks the grand opening for EPCOT’s newest ride, “Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure.” You’ll be shrunk down to the size of a rat as you help Remy prepare a special dish, and avoid capture, in this family-friendly 3D ride.
The expansion to the park’s France Pavilion also includes the new restaurant, La Crêperie de Paris, offering both table- and quick-service options.
Additional Attractions & Enhancements
Enhancements have been made to the World Famous Jungle Cruise at Magic Kingdom, adding new sequences to the beloved ride. And a new scene is coming to Mickey’s Philharmagic based on the Disney/PIXAR film Coco in November.
Additional rides and attractions, including Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind at EPCOT, and Tron Light Cycle / Run, are also expected to open within the 18-month celebration, but opening dates have not yet been announced.
Two New Nighttime Spectaculars
“Harmonious,” one of the largest nighttime spectaculars ever created for a Disney park, debuts Oct. 1 at EPCOT. This new show will feature pyrotechnics, choreographed moving fountains, lighting, massive LED panels and media in new ways showcasing Disney songs performed in more than a dozen languages.
“Disney Enchantment” will also debut Oct. 1, but at the Magic Kingdom. This elaborate new nighttime show will feature stunning fireworks, powerful music, enhanced lighting and, for the first time, immersive projection effects that extend from Cinderella Castle down Main Street, U.S.A.
The show’s soundtrack is anchored by an original song, “You Are the Magic,” written and performed by GRAMMY winner Philip Lawrence.
Disney KiteTails at Animal Kingdom
A new daytime entertainment option at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, “Disney KiteTails” comes alive several times daily beginning Oct. 1 at the Discovery River Theater.
Performers fly windcatchers and kites of all shapes and sizes, while out on the water elaborate three-dimensional kites – some stretching to 30 feet long – depict Disney animal friends, including Simba, Zazu, Baloo and King Louie.
Disney Fab 50 Character Statues
New “Disney Fab 50 Character Collection” golden sculptures are spread across the four Walt Disney World theme parks in honor of the 50th anniversary.
Fifty characters are featured in total, including Miguel and Dante from Disney and Pixar’s “Coco” at EPCOT; BB-8 and R2-D2 from Star Wars at Disney’s Hollywood Studios; Simba, Timon and Pumba from “The Lion King” at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park; and Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse – dedicated to Walt Disney World cast members – at Magic Kingdom Park.
Celebratory Food Inspired by the Past
New menu items for the celebration offer nods to the resort’s past while pushing culinary adventures to exciting new places.
Of the 150-plus new items available, examples include:
- Cheese Fries with Walt’s Chili at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park
- Glimmer and Shimmer Pineapple Mousse at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Mission to Mars burger at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café in Magic Kingdom Park
- EARidescent Croissant Doughnut at EPCOT
- EARidescent Ice Dream Cone at Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park
- Chicken Dinner Cupcake Trio at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
- Magical Beacon Cocktail, found at many table-service restaurants, lounges and pool bars at Walt Disney World
Novelty items developed for the celebration, including popcorn buckets, mugs and sippers, are available beginning Oct. 1, 2021, and continue to roll out across Walt Disney World throughout “The World’s Most Magical Celebration.
Beacons of Light Transform Park Icons
During the celebration, icons at Walt Disney World theme parks transform at night, coming to life with their own EARidescent glow.
- Cinderella Castle illuminates Magic Kingdom Park with a dazzling radiance and pixie-dust sparkle.
- At Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park, a warm light emanates from the Tree of Life as fireflies gather to usher in the magic of nature.
- The Hollywood Tower Hotel at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is awash in a brilliance evoking the golden age of imagination and adventure.
- And at EPCOT, new lights shine across the reflective panels of Spaceship Earth, connecting to one another like stars in a nighttime sky and creating a mesmerizing symbol of optimism. The iconic structure’s permanent new lighting will continue beyond “The World’s Most Magical Celebration” as a defining feature of the park.
Space 220 Now Open at EPCOT
In an expansion of the Mission: SPACE pavilion at EPCOT, the new Space 220 Restaurant is a culinary experience offering the celestial panorama of a space station, including daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles above the planet’s surface.
Cirque du Soleil’s Drawn to Life
Drawn to Life, the new family-friendly show coming to Disney Springs on November 18th, is an original creative collaboration between Cirque du Soleil, Walt Disney Animation Studios and Walt Disney Imagineering.
Newly Refreshed Original Hotels
All guest rooms in the iconic A-frame tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort are being completely refurbished, blending a sleek Monorail motif evoking Tomorrowland with some favorite characters from Pixar Animation Studios’ Incredibles films.
In the lobby, guests see a collection of modern art pieces as well as historical, behind-the-scenes photographs of Disney’s Contemporary Resort in development and under construction. The resort’s lobby restaurant is aptly renamed Steakhouse 71, offering a reimagined dining experience just in time for the celebration.
Guest rooms were recently reimagined at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort with a color palette inspired by the Pacific Ocean and its necklace of islands. Their fresh new look draws on the details, textures and patterns found in Disney’s “Moana,” with characters and references to the film’s rich storytelling.
The resort also boasts a dramatic new porte cochere to enhance the arrival experience as guests pull up to its Great
Electrical Water Pageant Gets New Scenes
For the 50th anniversary celebration, this longtime water parade around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake will add new whimsy with a towering castle, swirling pixie dust and a version of the celebration anthem “The Magic Is Calling, recorded in the pageant’s iconic electro-synth-magnetic sound.
50th Anniversary Merchandise
Guests will discover new merchandise collections launching in October and November 2021 as part of the celebration. These new items include apparel, accessories, plush, homeware, keepsakes, collectibles and much more, in several different collections:
- The Celebration Collection includes a wide-ranging assortment of commemorative merchandise for the whole family.
- Drawing inspiration from Cinderella Castle, the Disney Castle Collection features everything from collectibles – such as ornaments and charms – to castle-inspired attire and a light-up, 50th anniversary-edition Minnie Mouse ear headband.
- Disney fans and those who love all things vintage will be eager to unlock the Vault Collection that pays tribute to 50 years of Walt Disney World magic with an assortment of retro-themed designs right out of the Walt Disney Archives.
- In line with new décor seen across Walt Disney World during the 50th anniversary celebration, the EARidescent Collection features a shimmering array of themed fashions and accessories.
- As the name implies, the Luxe Logo Collection offers a range of upscale pieces for the Disney collector.
You’ll also be able to spot your favorite Disney characters sporting all new EARidescent outfits!
Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, Pluto and Chip ‘n’ Dale – otherwise known as the “EARidescent 8” – dress in sparkling new looks, custom-made for this special occasion.
Stay tuned as more details for the 18-month celebration have yet to be revealed. The fun kicks off this Friday, October 1st!